Counter-Strike co-creator and Valve game designer Jess Cliffe has been booked for sex exploitation of a child, Seattle local news KIRO 7 reports.

Police have not commented yet, but KIRO 7 reports Cliffe has not been charged yet. The arrest occurred at 1:17 AM this morning at the Seattle Southwest precinct police department.

Cliffe has been an employee of Valve since 2003 after creating Half-Life mod Counter-Strike in 1999 alongside co-creator Minh Le. Valve hired Cliffe and obtained the rights to the game, which has become one of if not the most popular multiplayer shooter in the world in the fifteen years since.

“We are still learning details of what actually happened,” Valve’s Doug Lombardi told us. “Reports suggest he has been arrested for a felony offense. As such we have
suspended his employment until we know more.”

.[Source: KIRO 7 News]

Total War series developer Creative Assembly has announced that Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia comes out on April 19. There is a Limited Edition version of the title, but it is not available in North America.

Pre-orders are being taken at participating retailers, including Steam, and queuing up early earns you 10 percent off. Creative Assembly says that it will donate 25 percent of the game’s pre-order profits to War Child UK, a charity organization that seeks to help children in war-torn regions.

Finally, the studio has also released the game’s minimum and recommended specs, which you can see by heading over the official Creative Assembly blog in the link below.

[Source: Creative Assembly] 

Rockstar has revealed Red Dead Redemption 2’s release date. In short, you’re going to want to clear your calendars in late October.

More specifically, the eagerly awaited sequel is coming to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on October 26. It was originally scheduled for a fall 2017 release, before slipping to a spring 2018 release.

Rockstar also released a batch of new screens for the game, which you can see in the gallery below.

For more on Red Dead Redemption 2, take a look at our trailer breakdown.

Nintendo has announced that its much awaited fee-based online service for Switch is coming in September.

The Switch launched last March, but at the time the platform’s online service was undefined. Currently online play is free for Nintendo account holders as a trial until September, and the service will cost $3.99 a month or $19.99 a year. It includes free game downloads (for the month only), online play, and more.

At the end of last year, Nintendo’s Italian website seemed to indicate that the service would be delayed until the fall of 2018.

[Source: Nintendo (1), (2)] 

 

Our Take 
It’ll be interesting to see what first- and/or third-party titles Nintendo uses to highlight the service when it launches. Maybe this will be a new title or extra content for a title currently out.

No, not THAT Mario Brothers movie. A new one!

Nintendo of America just gave a few more details on the upcoming Mario film, which has often been discussed but no details have emerged…until now, On twitter of all places:

We had heard back earlier this month that the movie’s production partner would be announced. Turns out it’s Illumination Entertainment, the company behind Minions and Despicable Me. Chris Meledandri served as producer on both films. Not many details beyond that but it’s enough to suggest that this Mario film will likely not be live-action, given Illumination’s specialty is CGI films.

 

Our Take
Illumination Entertainment knows how to make good movies for kids. I’m in.

Bungie has released a development roadmap for Destiny 2 that outlines updates and changes planned for the game through May.

In a blog post, game director Christopher Barrett says everything below will be available to all players, and that the dates may change. He also says that the studio has some “larger projects in development.”

Click to enlarge 

[Source: Bungie] 

In yet another entry of a surprising series announcements that Nintendo has made tonight, the company just revealed that a mobile adaptation of Mario Kart will be hitting sometime early next year. Details are scant, with Nintendo revealing nothing except the game’s title: Mario Kart Tour.

You can check out the announcement for yourself here:

It’s interesting that the announcement lists Mario Kart Tour as a mobile application instead of an outright game. We’ll have to wait to find out more about this pocket sized-speedster later.

For more on recent mobile adaptations of Nintendo games, be sure to check out our look at Animal Crossing Pocket Camp

 

Our Take
A Mario Kart mobile game could be cool! If it’s not bogged down in microtransactions. Here’s hoping!