A few months ago, purveyor of licensed comics Titan Books announced a graphic novel set in the Bloodborne universe titled Death of Sleep. Now, we have a look at what it will look like.

The original synopsis of the graphic novel didn’t really make it clear whether the book is retelling the story of FROM Software’s Lovecraftian horror or was telling a story in that world and writer Ales Kot still isn’t giving that piece of information up. “There will be mystery, the weird, the eerie, the horrific and the bloody — and there will be an undercurrent of decaying romanticism, walking hand in hand with brain-mashing, soul-cleaving action, together ascending towards the Blood Moon,” says Kot.

Take a look at the covers and sample pages of Bloodborne: Death of Sleep below.

Bloodborne: Death of Sleep releases in February, both physically and digitally.

While WWE 2K18 was announced for the Nintendo Switch back in July, 2K had been hesitant to give any information or gameplay footage of the game through the entire back half of the year. Suddenly, a release date of December 6, two days from now, has been announced for both physical and digital versions of the game.

Preorders for the physical edition will get the Kurt Angle DLC, while all eShop purchases until December 13 will receive it. 2K warns that a microSD card with a minimum 32GB of free space is required to download the eShop version, but did not clarify how much free space physical owners would need for the extra content. The boxart simply says that a microSD is required.

You can find our review of the PS4 version, from which the Switch version is ported, right here.

[Source: 2K News]

 

Our Take
The hesitancy to show footage of the game, plus the out-of-nowhere surprise release, does not indicate a ton of confidence in this game. We’ll just have to wait and see, I suppose – it is not like it is a particularly long wait.

Scott Cawthon, creator of the Five Nights at Freddy’s series, has released a game on PC today that really goes some places.

The game, titled Freddy Fazbear’s Pizzeria Simulator, was released all of a sudden on Steam with very little in the ways of description or screenshots, showing an 8-Bit sidescroller with titular character Freddy Fazbear collecting and designing pizzas. Of course, since this is a Scott Cawthon game, what you see is never what you really get, and the game takes a hard left turn a few chapters in.

I’ll leave it to you to figure out where the game goes after that, but it definitely isn’t what I expected. You can check out the game for free on Steam right now, no other platforms have been announced.

 

Our Take
I’m a little tired of this series, but free experimental games that mess with your expectations are probably the best way to continue it.

The developer most recently best known for pioneering the Souls series and genre held an Armored Core stream today where they were very clear there would be no new game announcements, but that did not stop the FROM Software Twitter from assuaging fears.

In a tweet posted today, FROM thanked their fans for their support and encouraged them to keep hope for the series alive.

“Thank you for watching the Armored Core 20th Anniversary Music Special Broadcast!” the translated tweet read. “There is nothing we can announce now, but we don’t intend to end the AC series as it is, so we’d be happy if you could wait a little longer. Even going forward, thanks for supporting From Software!”

The developer then announced that an Armored Core Dynamic theme would see release on the PlayStation 4 soon. 

Earlier in the year, FROM Software president and Dark Souls/Bloodborne director Hidetaka Miyazaki said that Dark Souls was completely finished with the release of The Ringed City DLC. During an interview in 2014, Miyazaki specifically called out Armored Core as one of the series he wants to pursue again.

[Source: FROM Software Twitter]

 

Our Take
While I love Souls games, I am sure FROM really would like to move on at this point, and the time is right for another mech game. Maybe a Metal Wolf Chaos sequel, please please please?

Deadline reports a rumor that Quentin Tarantino, director of movies like Reservoir Dogs, Kill Bill, and Pulp Fiction, is pitching his idea for the next Star Trek movie set in JJ Abrams’ reboot film line.

Tarantino, who has been eyeing retirement in the future, has apparently shared his idea for a Star Trek film with producer JJ Abrams. Abrams’ being brought in to direct Star Wars: Episode IX after Jurassic World’s Colin Trevorrow parted ways with Disney and Lucasfilm on the project, causing delays in the progress of the Star Trek series unless Tarantino picks it up.

It is just a rumor for now, and Tarantino’s other projects might make taking over a Star Trek unfeasible, but it could be interesting to see what the once-niche auteur director does with Star Trek.

[Source: Deadline]

Lionsgate unveiled the official release date for the upcoming Hellboy reboot, stating that it will come to theaters as of January 11, 2019.

The movie will star Stranger Things’ David Harbour as the lead, and has Game of Thrones director Neil Marshall at the helm. Details are slim at this point, but Habour has previously teased that the upcoming film won’t be an origin story. Actors Ian McShane, Milla Jovovich and Daniel Dae Kim also have roles in the movie.

For more on Hellboy, read about how this superhero recently made his way to Injustice 2.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi’s debut is just a couple weeks away, and while you wait, you can check out some new behind-the-scenes footage. This featurette shows off the cast learning some of the epic moves they’ll be putting to action in the film.

In the video, we see Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Adam Driver, Gwendoline Christie, and Kelly Marie Tran train as they learn the choreography. We also hear from assistant fight coordinator Liang Yang, who impressively boasts that Ridley learned complicated moves quicker than expected. Some of these combinations were to be learned in three days time, but she caught on in a mere hour-and-a-half. “She’s a very quick learner,” Yang says.

(Please visit the site to view this media)

Gwendoline Christie, who plays Phasma, mentions in the video that this is the “hardest physical thing” she’s done yet. Boyega has similar sentiments, saying that the training is “rigorous in a great way” and that the stunt team is “very disciplined.”

For more on The Last Jedi, read about how director Rian Johnson was once considering to make Luke blind in the upcoming film. You can also view the newest trailer here. The Last Jedi releases to theaters on December 15.

With its unique 1930s cartoon aesthetic and unforgiving difficulty, Cuphead has made a big impression on many gamers. YouTuber TheDominoKing has also become enamored with Cuphead, and has dedicated his latest domino project to the game.

With 22,734 dominoes, he meticulously put together an impressive tribute. The project took him five full days to complete. While he was considering portraying more of the game’s bosses and characters, he instead decided to focus on the duo protagonists Cuphead and Mughead. You can take a look at it below.

(Please visit the site to view this media)

TheDominoKing has long been making domino setups based off of video games and pop culture. For more of his work, check out these works based on Super Mario Odyssey, Sonic, and Splatoon 2.

Legacy is an upcoming theme that transforms your PlayStation 4 dashboard into an aesthetic similar to the PlayStation 2. Costing $2.99, this theme reimagines the look of the PS2 for a modern console while also staying true to the original’s style.

Developer Truant Pixel says the team spent the last two years prototyping this theme so that it loyally pays tribute the PS2’s design in both look and sound. The team even recreated the PS2’s boot sequence, along with remastered audio. You can take a peek in the video below to see how it looks.

(Please visit the site to view this media)

The Legacy theme releases on December 6, which is the same day a collection of Jak & Daxter classics from the PS2 era arrive for PS4.

For more PlayStation news, read about how Sony is sending out trial PSVR units to select PlayStation Plus members.

Update: Stardock founder Brad Wardell has posted a more thorough statement regarding the matter. “We are disappointed that Paul and Fred, two people we have a great deal of respect and admiration for, have chosen to imply that we are somehow preventing them from working on their new game,” says Wardell. “Stardock has been nothing but supportive of their new project and wish them the best.

Regarding Dogar and Kazon’s specific claims, Wardell says that since the Star Control games have been available from Stardock since 2013, the issue should have been brought up earlier. “If they had an objection to the games being sold this is something that could and should have been addressed before we were ever involved,” he said.

Wardell goes on to say Stardock is not using any alien species from the original Star Control games, since “the classic alien IP is owned by them.” He also attempts to clarify the legal situation regarding ownership of the game itself; when Stardock bought the rights from Atari, they received the publishing agreements for the series, giving them the right to release games under the series despite not having the rights to the aliens in the game itself. “The short version is that the classic IP is messy,” Wardell says. “All we can do is try to put something together that releases them from the restrictions placed on their IP that they agreed to and transfer any and all rights and responsibilities to them. We want them to make Ghosts but we don’t want any liability or association with it.” 

Original Story: Dogar And Kazon, the people behind a space flight game they refer to as a “direct sequel” to Star Control II, Ghosts of the Precursors, are claiming that Stardock is impeding them from creating their game for legal reasons.

In order to understand Dogar and Kazon’s claims, we need a bit of history. Toys for Bob (which Dogar and Kazon founders Fred Ford and Paul Reiche also founded) developed the original two Star Control games, which the now-defunct company Accolade published. After Accolade published a couple of sequels not developed by Toys For Bob, the franchise went into deep sleep, and its rights were later picked up by Atari. In 2013, Stardock bought the rights to series from Atari when the company liquidated its assets as part of a Chapter 11 bankruptcy (Stardock is currently listed as the publisher of the series on Steam). Stardock is creating its own entry in the Star Control series, Star Control: Origins.

On their website, Dogar and Kazon claims Stardock has no rights to the series. “It’s our opinion that Atari’s rights to publish our earlier games terminated over a decade before the [bankruptcy] auction and we contend that Stardock has zero rights to our games, including any code and other IP we created,” the two claim. The post seems to imply Dogar and Kazon own the rights to the series and that, “as far as we can currently tell, we have no relationship with Stardock that lets them sell the three earlier Star Control games without our permission, either bundled with their other products or separately.”

The post then says the two are currently in a legal battle, as Stardock “seems to think that not only can they use our aliens, ships and narrative without our permission, but thinks that we cannot make a sequel to The Ur-Quan Masters without their permission,” the post says. “This is where we got really, really angry.” Despite these claims, the bottom of Ford and Reiche’s site states that Star Control “is a registered trademark of Stardock Systems, Inc.”

Despite the legal issues, the two claim they have no animosity towards the developers working on Origins. “We have nothing but respect for the talented, passionate developers working on Star Control: Origins, but we apparently have a BIG problem right now with Stardock’s management.” 

Stardock, for its part, acknowledges Ghosts of the Precursors and has previously spoken about it in a positive light. Stardock founder, president, and CEO Brad Wardell spoke to Ars Technica and on forums earlier this year about Ghosts of the Precursors with anticipation.

Wardell has also commented on Dogar and Kazon’s post, saying that Stardock doesn’t “appreciate the implication in [Dogar and Kazon’s] post that somehow we are keeping them from making their game… given their post, there is more reason than ever to get them to sign some sort of document that acknowledges that we are not preventing them from making their game.” We’ve reached out to Stardock for an official statement regarding the matter and will update this article should they reply.

[Source: Dogar And Kazon Official Blog]

 

Our Take
This is definitely a strange scenario, and I’m surprised the legal issue hadn’t arisen earlier. The Dogar and Kazon site seems to send conflicting signals about who owns the Star Control series, though right now, it seems Stardock does. I ultimately hope both Star Control Origins and Ghosts of the Precursors get released without too much legal trouble.