At the SXSW Sonic panel, Sega teased a new Sonic racing gaming with a Sonic-style logo that emphasized the R.

Not much was said beyond that game, except Sonic social media manager Aaron Webber emphasizing the game is not a sequel. This is likely in line with his previous comments that a new Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed was not a thing, though a Sonic-focused racing title seems to be close enough that a denial at all seemed unnecessary.

The initial teaser trailer showed car headlights being panned over, so it looks like Sonic is back behind the wheel once again.

While it is not known if Sega is developing this internally or not, a leaked powerpoint from developer Sumo Digital, who made the S&SASRT games, indicated they were working on another kart racing title, which is what lead to these rumors in the first place. It seems likely they are working on this game, as well.

Sega has not announced when the next details of the game will be released, but with E3 in only a few months, that is a safe bet.

 

Our Take
Hopefully the new game differs itself from Sonic & Sega All-Stars, if only to justify not having a lot of the cooler aspects of that game in a new title.

Microsoft has announced a promotional deal that packs Sea
of Thieves in with an Xbox One X.

From March 18 to 24, retailers will give a digital code of
Sea of Thieves free with the purchase of the Xbox One X. The console will still
cost $499.99. The game itself releases March 20, so you probably won’t be able to play part
the waters if you buy the bundle before then.

Another
Sea of Thieves bundle
will be available for Xbox One S. At $299.99, it comes
with a white console, 1 terabyte of memory, white controller, digital code for
the game, and a one-month membership for Xbox Gold and Game Pass.

Check out our Xbox
One X review
if you’re debating on taking advantage of the offer. For more
on Sea of Thieves, take a look at our conversational
feature
, whether or not you can run
the game on PC
, and footage of us venturing
to the world’s end
.

[Source: Xbox Wire]

The publisher behind Blossom Tales, the Link to the Past-like adventure game on Switch and PC, revealed that the Switch version sold twenty times the Steam version, saving the developer in the process.

FDG Entertainment, the publisher behind games like Oceanhorn and Monster Boy, announced the sales on Twitter and added “Humble indie dev can stay in business and continue making games.” The game released on Steam in March 2017 to positive reviews but without much in the way of attention, getting ported to Switch last December. FDG didn’t go into more detail, we asked Castle Pixel what the publisher meant.

“We were first approached by a Nintendo rep at PAX last year where they expressed interest in porting Blossom Tales to the Switch,” the developers told us. “We are all huge Nintendo fans so we jumped at the chance to work with them and bring Blossom Tales to their platform.  After the initial release of Blossom Tales on Steam, the numbers weren’t great, so FDG decided to shift the funds from our next game we had in development to a Switch port of Blossom Tales.

“It was a complete turn around, like FDG tweeted, it’s exceeded lifetime sales on steam by 20 to 1. Blossom Tales was built for Nintendo fans and the fans ultimately saved us in the end,” Castle Pixel reiterated. “With the success of Blossom Tales on Switch, we’re able to continue making updates and ports to other languages like Japanese.”

The developers wanted to express their gratitude to Nintendo players for allowing them to continue working on games. Thanks to the Blossom Tales sales, Castle PIxel says they are going to work on a new project, but are undecided as to what it will be.

You can read our review of Blossom Tales here, which Brian Shea called “a delightful take on a familiar style.”

 

Our Take
Great news for the developer and genuinely impressive improvement for the sales. The curation problem for Steam is getting worse, as things get lost in the weekly releases, but this is a problem that can eventually happen on any store, and there aren’t a lot of good answers for it besides just hoping a port does better.

A voucher that lets players change their hunter’s appearance is now available.

Ahead of next week’s Monster Hunter World update which brings a host of balance changes and new monster Deviljho, Capcom has released a single voucher for changing the appearance of your player character. It’s a single-use item and every other hunter change will require a payment, though Capcom hasn’t given a date for when that will be or the price. So make sure this one is right before you commit.

While the voucher lets you change your hunter’s appearance, your name is still set, and you can’t change your Palico, so you’re stuck with those.

PlayStation 4 owners can download the voucher here, while Xbox One owners can get it here.

The Deviljho update and accompanying gear comes March 22, with the Spring Festival beginning on April 5 and ending on April 19 with daily events and changes to Astera.

EA and DICE have detailed the changes being made to Star Wars: Battlefront II’s progression system after hastily turning off the ability to buy virtual currency at the game’s launch last year.

The most fundamental change is that progression is now linear, meaning that star cards and all gameplay-impacting items are now earned as set rewards for leveling up. Experience points are doled out for characters, classes, and ships that give you skill points at level ups to unlock or upgrade star cards.

Loot boxes, or crates in the Battlefront II vernacular, no longer contain star cards at all and can only be earned through daily login bonuses, milestones, and timed challenges. Cosmetic items like emotes and victory poses can still be gotten through crates, but anything gameplay-related is off the table.

Starting next month, cosmetic outfits can be purchased through in-game credits or the virtual currency crystals. The outfits are for both the troopers and the heroes, so you can take the appearance of a Rodian and shoot second all you want, though that’s probably not recommended as a gameplay strategy.

Everything players have already earned is still theirs to keep, but everything else falls under the new progression system which launches March 21. The cosmetics system will follow later in April without a solid date quite yet. EA also says that new modes are on the way to Battlefront II that the developer describes as “radically different from anything seen before.”

During their latest earnings report, EA stated that they missed the sales target on Battlefront II, though seemed bullish on the prospect of reintroducing the payment model to the game.

 

Our Take
This probably should have been the progression system the game launched with, as the pay-to-win model was merely annoying, but it ended up necessitating a grinding alternative which annoyed more people. That said, at least they are revamping it and I am guessing fewer people will have a problem with cosmetics being purchasable.

The top part of North America is hosting The International 2018, as Valve’s Dota 2 tournament takes place on Canadian soil this August.

Fans wanting to see the best Dota 2 matches of the year will need to get their passport ready before August 20 when the event commences in Vancouver, British Columbia. With the exception of the very first main event in 2011 at Gamescom in Germany, which also served as the first time the public got to see Dota 2, every main event until 2018 has been in Seattle, Washington.

Ticket sales begin next Friday March 23 and come in two forms. The midweek ticket runs you $125 CAD and will let you in for the first four days of the event, August 20 – 23. The Finals ticket, which is $250 CAD, gets you access to the last two days, August 24 – 25.

You can get more details and ticket purchasing links on the Dota 2 blog.

 

Our Take
It’s neat that Valve is moving the tournament around, but I genuinely am curious why they decided to move it this year,

The Ace Attorney anime is getting a second season, the show’s official website announced today.

Ace Attorney, known as Gyakuten Saiban in Japan, was decently popular when it aired in 2016, but it ended after having only adapted the first three cases of the first game with no indication of whether it would continue. The new season appears to adapt the third title in the series going by the promotional image, which features Trials & Tribulations rival prosecutor Godot.

The second season is scheduled for release in the back half of 2018. It is unknown whether, like the first season, the show will be simulcast on streaming services.

Capcom announced last year that an Ace Attorney game will be coming to Switch in 2018.

Our Take
I watched some of the anime and it was a pretty good adaptation. The casting was particularly apt, so hopefully they keep that through the next season.

Welcome back to The Game Informer Show! On today’s show, to celebrate Game Informer’s 300th issue and the magazine’s ranking of the 300 greatest games of all time, we gathered a group of editors to run down and surprise each other with their personal top ten lists. You can see everybody else’s picks by clicking here. It’s not easy to whittle down a list of your favorite games of all time to just ten, but thankfully we’re surrounded by co-workers eager to mock our choices for your entertainment. In the back half of this episode, we’re honored to be joined by three game developers from Blizzard Entertainment! Senior casting and voice director Andrea Toyias, lead writer Justin Dye, and World of Warcraft’s senior narrative designer Steve Danuser join the show to talk about their upcoming GDC panel on writing and recording voice over lines for their games. It’s a fun chat, and I hope you enjoy the episode!

You can watch the video below, subscribe and listen to the audio on iTunes or Google Play, or listen to episode 390 on SoundCloud. Also, be sure to send your questions to podcast@gameinformer.com for a chance to have them answered on the show and win a prize by becoming Email of the Week!

(Please visit the site to view this media)

Our thanks to the talented Super Marcato Bros. for The Game Informer Show’s intro song. You can hear more of their original tunes and awesome video game music podcast at their website.

To jump to a particular point in the discussion, check out the time stamps below…

5:20 – Jeff Cork’s Yakuza 6 verdict
7:20 – Donkey Kong Country
11:05 – BioShock
14:05 – Rainbow Six Siege
16:30 – Perfect Dark
18:30 – Inside
21:10 – Final Fantasy Tactics
21:40 – Rock Band 3
26:40 – The Stanley Parable
28:45 – Halo: Combat Evolved
31:10 – Super Mario World
32:56 – Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Blacklist
36:40 – Frequency
38:40 – Super Mario Galaxy
42:00 – Diablo II
44:45 – Tony Hawk’s American Wasteland
47:27 – Super Smash Bros. Melee
50:10 – Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
53:00 – Secret of Mana
53:55 – Heat Signature
55:55 – Pokémon Silver
57:20 – Batman: Arkham Asylum
58:50 – Final Fantasy VI
1:00:10 – Rocket League
1:01:50 – Age of Mythology
1:04:10 – Shadow of the Colossus
1:06:50 – World of Warcraft
1:09:20 – The Last of Us
1:11:00 – Tetris
1:12:05 – Portal 2
1:13:50 – Chrono Trigger
1:14:50 – Spelunky
1:16:00 – Metal Gear Solid
1:17:30 – Mega Man X
1:18:50 – Bloodborne
1:20:25 – Tabletop Simulator
1:23:20 – Final Fantasy VII
1:24:00 – The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
1:25:50 – The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
1:27:15 – Hitman
1:30:00 – Community mail…
1:37:50 – Blizzard’s Andrea Toyias, Justin Dye, and Steve Danuser on writing and recording game VO

Epic is sending out invites for the closed beta of Fortnite on iOS for players who signed up for the early access.

The mobile version, which was announced last week, has been described by Epic as the exact same game as the title on PC and consoles. That function is reinforced by the game’s ability to crossplay with PS4, PC, and Mac; or crossplay with Xbox, PC, and Mac. It is unclear how, if at all, the game surfaces which console you are playing with.

The timing for the invites is good, as Fortnite has become somewhat of a literal overnight sensation, breaking Twitch viewing records last night when streamer Ninja and rapper Drake streamed the game online. Speculation has been heavy that Epic is even more eager to expand the game’s player base to the immense number of game-capable smart phones in the world after yesterday.

Invites for the iOS beta are still ongoing and you can sign up here.

 

Our Take
I have to imagine meetings have been occurring at Epic over the last 24 hours to figure out how to best get Fortnite into the hands of every person they can as soon as possible. A fast beta period is a good way to get there.

Bandai Namco and Arc System Works have announced the next major patch to Dragon Ball FighterZ, which updates rematches and more.

One new feature in the update is Z-Union, which allows players to create fan clubs for individual characters. You can join the Piccolo fan club in game to mirror the real-life Piccolo fan club you’re already a part of, though the in-game one gets you special rewards. The longer you commit to your favorite character’s club, the better the rewards get.

The rematch option for online World matches will now allow players to do three rematches, instead of the usual two. It is generally considered good manners to offer a best of three set to players online. Ring matches are also now more stable and have made improvements to matchmaking.

A lot of the other fixes are character-specific and you can find the full patch notes below. The patch should launch tomorrow on PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One.

[Source: Dragon Ball FighterZ Steam Blog]